Credit: Exclusive permission to reproduce this image was very kindly provided to the Toronto Project by the Map and Data Library, University of Toronto. This image may not be reproduced. Original link found here.
Click here for the full-size image.
In 1688, Jesuit Father Pierre Raffeix published a map titled, “LE LAC ONTARIO avec les lieux circonvoisins & particulierement les cinq nations Iroquoises.” The map consisted of Lake Ontario, also known as the Lake of Saint Louis, with the surrounding area marked as including territory belonging to the five Iroquois nations.
Current-day Lake Simcoe was marked as “Lac Taronthe.” The villages, theyagon (Teiaiagon) and “Ganestikiagon” (Ganatsekwyagon), were also marked.