Credit: This image very kindly made available for reproduction by Simon Pulsifer (SimonP) under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported license found here, with the original Wikipedia image post found here. This image may only be reproduced under the terms of the original license.
Click here for the full-size image.
Taber Hill (sometimes spelled Tabor Hill) is located at Bellamy Road and Lawrence Avenue in Scarborough.
A plaque at the top of the hill has the following:
SITE OF AN ANCIENT INDIAN OSSUARY
OF THE IROQUOIS NATION. BURIALS
WERE MADE ABOUT 1250 A.D. THIS
OSSUARY WAS UNCOVERED WHEN FARM
LANDS WERE DEVELOPED INTO
RESIDENTIAL PROPERTIES IN 1956. THIS
COMMON GRAVE CONTAINS THE REMAINS
OF APPROXIMATELY 472 PERSONS.
The ossuary was found to be 50 feet long, 7 feet wide, and 1 foot deep.
The May 1960 issue of INDIAN RECORD discussed the plan to set up a memorial at Taber Hill. Scarborough Councillors A.W. Bailley and L.W. Stewart would be approaching the Canadian Government in relation to placing a 10 to 20-ton memorial stone at the site. Joseph Logan, chief of the Six Nations Confederacy, had indicated to council that chiefs of the confederacy had chosen an 18-line verse by Indian poet White Cloud to be carved on the stone.
The Commissioner of Parks and Recreation, Scarborough submitted a report regarding Taber Hill dated May 13, 1998 to the Scarborough Community Council, that included the following information: